Skip to content

Obtain an HPCC account

Every user needs to have an account to use the HPCC. To obtain an HPCC account, follow the directions below.

Current MSU-affiliated student or personnel

HPCC accounts are free for all MSU researchers. To obtain (or re-activate) an account, a MSU Principal Investigator (PI) must complete a New Account Request for themselves and their collaborators (students, staff, post-docs, and collaborators with NetIDs.) Information required to complete the form includes:

  • a list of the names and MSU NetIDs of collaborators (students, post-docs, visiting scholars and/or off-campus colleagues) requiring accounts. For collaborators without a MSU NetID, the PI can sponsor MSU Department Sponsored NetIDs by paying MSU ID Office with a department account number. See below section for more details on departmental NetIDs.


All MSU Net IDs used to access the HPCC must be associated with a valid email address.

By applying for a HPCC account, the Principal Investigator is agreeing that all group members will abide by MSU's Acceptable Use Policy.

ICER workshops

If you are going to attend an ICER workshop, you may get a temporary HPCC account. Please contact ICER

External collaborators

To request an HPCC account for an external collaborator, please obtain a login-only, non-email FPID NetID for the collaborator first. Please contact the ID Office at or 517-355-4500 for more information, or visit their website. Once the NetID is acquired, a MSU PI can follow the above instructions to apply for their HPCC account. Since the purchased NetID is not associated with a MSU e-mail account, the PI must provide a current contact e-mail address of the external collaborator when filling out the New Account Request form.

Previous users affiliated with MSU

If you were previously affiliated with MSU and had a HPCC account, then you may find that your HPCC account was disabled after a time. If you are still collaborating with a regular MSU faculty or staff member, you will need a Principal Investigator (PI) at MSU to sponsor the renewal of your account on an annual basis. The form for sponsoring the renewal of an existing HPCC account is at Sponsored Renewal. Only PIs may fill out this form.

Other universities in Michigan

If you are affiliated with the following universities, please contact the respective personnel to apply for a HPCC account:

University Contact More information
Oakland University ( Mario Nowak:
Thomas Hajek:
Oakland University info page
Kettering University (
(kettering buy-in)
Salomon Turgman Cohen:
Kettering info
(ryankettering buy-in) Gillian Ryan:
Western Michigan University ( Leonard Peirce:
Western Michigan info
Central Michigan University ( Mel Taylor:
Central Michigan info